Cuba’s currency is called the peso, CUP, or moneda nacional. Visitors can purchase Cuban pesos at exchange bureaus (CADECA) with American dollars and other major foreign currencies.
The official exchange rate for Cuban pesos is one US dollar for 110 pesos. The street rate to purchase pesos is more favorable.
It is not possible to buy Cuban pesos outside of Cuba. We don’t recommend taking Cuban pesos home except as souvenirs, as they have no value outside Cuba.
Once you purchase Cuban pesos, it is unlikely that you can exchange them back for US dollars or other foreign currencies.
- At banks Cuban pesos can be purchased at Cuban banks. The rate is one dollar for 110 pesos.
- At Cuban exchange bureaus A limited number of CADECAs are available in Havana, including the airport. At a CADECA, you will receive a special tourist rate of 1 dollar for 110 pesos.
- On the street This option is subject to scams and is not recommended.
- At major hotels This option is no longer available.
- Ask Cuba Explorer Tell us before arrival if you need clarifications or help with money matters in Cuba.